Saturday, January 9, 2010

Butter Is Better...

Butter is better. It just is. No, stop....really.....there is no argument, no time for rebuttal, nada. Tonight I treated my gal pals to a nice pasta dish and a veggie salad. This is what I did for this pasta dish:

-Wide Noodle Amish Pasta (it looked good, it cost little, and I like a wider pasta when I am also using something heavy like a protein in the dish--good tip, helps balance it out I think)

-Cherry tomatoes (yum....and they add a nice acidity)

-Basil leaves

-Medium sized shrimp (I bought a big ole' bag of pre-cooked and de-shelled. They are certainly not as mouth watering as the real deal....but you get a lot of bang for ya buck....and lord knows any extra cash I have in college isn't going towards finer proteins....)

-A sprinkle of capers (not too many, they add a hint in this dish--by no means the star)

-A dash of chili powder, a lot of regular pepper, and some salt

-Extra Virgin Olive Oil

-As much squeezed lemon juice as desired

-BUTTER!!!!!!

Why is butter so great you may ask? Well, this anecdote should answer that burning question. All 5 of my lovely guests asked me what I did to make "such an amazing sauce". And, all it was was E.V.O.O. (Please don't judge me for the Rachel Ray allusion...........) and a heeeeaaaaavy hand of good ole' fashioned butter. Margarine would be downright disgusting, and an insult to dinner in general. Butter gives most dishes a richness and mouth-watering complexity that any healthier products can simply not mimic.

And no, I don't measure.....this is why I do not bake, and I likely inherited this inability and aversion from my mother....and my lack of math skills.

Any hoot--the reason this simple pasta dish tasted so fanastic was that I used a ton of butter. Is it good to consume a ton of butter all the time? Certainly not. But, in the name of taste and all things good in life--try using it as much as possible. Clearly, I am not a dietetics and nutrition major.......(they're probably all hungry anyway)

No comments:

Post a Comment